This is a non-exempt/hourly position. Non-exempt employees categorized as Full-time generally work 37.5 hours per week.
Summary: Maintains records of financial transactions for bank. Performs retrieval, balancing, reconciling and review functions for bank’s various accounts.
• Investigates encoding errors and resolve by requesting adjustment from correspondent banks.
• Researches and clear open accounts on correspondent bank’s reconciliation statements.
• Retrieves non-posted items. Investigates and properly posts non-posted items via core banking system. Reviews stop and stop suspects report and makes appropriate decisions. Reviews reports to assure all items are corrected daily.
• Place holds on accounts when appropriate.
• Receives returned customer deposit items from Federal Reserve Bank and verify totals. Determines reason for returned item, charges customer account, or re-deposits item when applicable. Balances returned items and notifies customers of large dollar checks being returned.
• Reports suspicious activity on accounts with overdrafts or charge-backs to security officer. Reviews daily overdrawn accounts and makes decision to pay or return items. Balances returned overdraft items. Prepares large dollar return reports for overdrawn accounts. Debits accounts for large dollar returns as they are received. Researches and responds to inquiries from branches regarding overdrawn and chargeback accounts.
• Reviews positive pay items to ensure funds are credited appropriately.
• Reviews in clearing items for signatures and accuracy.
• Responsible for meeting daily processing deadlines.
• Assist in training new staff.
• Creates and updates department procedures.
• Resolves complex issues including ITM balancing and difference solving.
• Resolves complex issues and non-routine Bookkeeping balancing related to policies, procedures, regulations and systems.
• Handles more sensitive/skilled work within the department.
• Balances various bank owned accounts including general ledgers.
• All other duties assigned.
Required Education and Experience for Sr. Bookkeeper:
•High school diploma or equivalent
•Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
•Excellent data entry skills;
•Strong analytical skills;
•Strong organizational skills
•Minimum of 1 year experience with bank reconciling and balancing required and/or similar experience
•Ability to work independently
Requirements for performing Essential Functions:
On the job, the employee may physically be required to bend, sit, use finger movements, and/or handle objects (manual dexterity). On the job the employee must mentally be able to read/comprehend, write, perform calculations, communicate orally, reason, analyze, and multi-task. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the following essential functions.